Monday

Taylor McMahon: Artist Spotlight



TIL: What made you want to do music?

TM: I don’t think I ever set out to do music, as much as it was just a growing interest that eventually became my passion. My father was always a big fan of music and exposed me to a large variety of it as a child, and as I became older he taught me to play guitar. I was always big into sports but I got hurt my sophomore year in high school, and music became my main outlet, and I loved it. I stumbled upon writing by accident. I bought a cheap microphone that I was going to use to record myself playing covers, but when testing out the sound levels with my father, we ended up writing our first song together. I showed it to a few different friends and I got a good response, so I started to actively write and record demos from then on.


TIL: Where do you draw inspiration from?

TM: I have always drawn inspiration just from my daily life; my friends, my family, and passing relationships. Personally I have always enjoyed music that I can relate to. I wanted my songs to be just that. The hope for any musician is that when a fan thinks or hears their music, it affects them. I just want my music to be the soundtrack to someone’s summer that they can think of fondly in the future.

TIL: How long have you been working with music?

TM: I have been working with music more seriously since about 2011 but I have been interested in music my whole life.

TIL: Describe your music in 3 words.

TM: Youthful, Lighthearted, Fun

TIL: Best musical experience (to-date).

TM: My best musical experience would either have to be the when I first heard my music professionally recorded and mixed, or when I found out one of my songs was going to be on MTV’s The Real World. Both were very surreal. My songs had been demos for so long, I was just accustomed to hearing them that way and a professional recording changed everything.

TIL: Which of your past shows was by far, your favorite?

TM: I played a small songwriters festival in New Orleans about a year ago and Dan Storper, the owner and CEO of one of my favorite record companies, Putumayo World Music, came to see me play. It was a huge compliment and honor to get to play for someone whom I had always loved his music taste and his compilation albums.

TIL: Last but not least, top 10 favorite musicians.

TM: Van Morrison, Vampire Weekend, Avett Brothers, Rolling Stones, Bishop Allen, Taj Mahal, Mac Miller, Jack Johnson, Death Cab for Cutie, Jerry Jeff Walker
TIL: Who would be in your celebrity entourage?

TM: Hahaha I feel like Jason Segal, LeBron James, and Demetri Martin

TIL: Any shoutouts? (Preferably bands that are little known bands from your hometowns or from places you've been on tour.

TM: I want to give a huge shoutout to my recording studio and managing company, Zodlounge, in Nashville, TN. Brett, Tom, and Todd have all been a huge part in my success thus far. They manage a few different bands that are really talented up and coming acts. I can’t say enough about how awesome this team is for musicians trying to break into the industry.


For all things Taylor McMahon, check him out on Facebook. Also, check out Zodlounge and The Indie Leak

WE ARE THE INDIE LEAK



No comments: