Wednesday

Exclusive Dobman Interview with TheIndieLeak

Robert Benjamin II AKA "The Dobman"

Name: Robert Benjamin II
Stage Name: “The Dobman”
Free Music & Free Drinks!
Go Green Baby!

So I happened to be randomly rummaging through my long lost groups on Facebook, when I saw a post for a new MSU Anthem by a kid called Dobman. Couldn't readily identify any significant connections with the name, so i figured "why not?". Gave it a spin and I was thoroughly impressed. I had vaguely heard through the grape vine that there was some kid buying 100 rounds a night at a bar in EL as well. Didn't actually make it down, but after talking with this kid and a few of my rather intoxicated friends, THIS DID HAPPEN! The Dobman is going on a short hiatus, but not before we were able to snag him for a quick interview! 


SchoolMichigan State University – Accounting, Junior
This semester, I withdrew from 14 credits, leaving myself enrolled with just one. I took that loan refund money and used it to finance my Free Music and Free Drinks campaign. I spent almost all of the money buying my fellow Spartans drinks at the bar. With the left over money I used it to finance my first ever Mixtape, “Spartan Money.”

Background: I was born in Southfield, MI. When I was 3 years old my Family moved to Singapore where I spent the next 5 years of my life. My Father’s side of the family is from Mackinac Island and I have spent every summer up there since I was a little kid. It has been the one constant in my life, and the closest I have ever felt to God. When I was 9 we moved back to Farmington Hills, MI where I would graduate from Harrison High School in 2009. Since then I have lived in East Lansing during the school year and Mackinac in the summer. When someone asks me where my home is, I usually say Mackinac Island because that’s where my family is, and that’s where my heart is. I am a 7th generation Islander.

What made you want to do music?
It has given me courage throughout my whole life. Growing up in Metro Detroit, I was troubled child and often felt like I was alone. At age 8 I was “diagnosed” with clinical ADHD and at age 12 with “depression.” My parents made me feel like I would never be “normal” without prescription drugs. I refused them. I often got into fights, detention and was suspended. I struggled with obesity during middle and high school and never really seemed to fit it. There was a time when I had no confidence & no inspiration. But, Music was always my sanctuary. It was the one time I had a “voice.” It was the one time people actually listened. No matter how bad my life got, or how lonely I felt, music was always there to pick me up. I believe there are a lot of kids out there like me who are struggling to find their identity and I want to help them with music, the way music helped me. You could even say music saved me.
How long have you been working with music?
My entire life. I was in church choir when I was younger and continued it into high school. The summer before college started is when I discovered rap. I liked rap because it seemed like the purest form of self-expression. It was a way to tell my story, and to be creative in rhythm.
Past Shows
I have performed at Harper’s six times and the Loft once.
The Dobman - "MSU Thrift Shop"

Inspiration?
I get my inspiration from my family, friends, and my God. They have never given up on me despite obstacles in my life. I also draw inspiration from Mackinac Island & Michigan State. Mackinac is an Island in the middle of Lake Huron with no cars and no factories. It is absolutely beautiful, no matter how many times I travel there it takes my breath away. The water is crisp and clean and the air is pure and cool. Everyone in my family has attended Michigan State so I am rich in Spartan Pride as well. The school has opened my eyes to a lot of very different people and opportunities. I also love how the school colors embody the spirit of our state and nature. Snow is white and Pine trees are green, there is just something spiritual about being a Spartan. Go Green Baby!
Describe your music in 3 words
Peace, Love, & Freedom
Best Musical Experience:
Attending my little brother Sam’s high school musical Guys & Dolls. I love him with all my heart and seeing him on stage made me so proud! J
5 Musicians Expose the World to:
1. Cracka Lack (My DJ), makes my beats, records my rhymes, and produces my album. Father, friend, mentor. One of the hardest working individuals I have ever met. He is an inspiration to me as well as many local Hip-Hop artists in Lansing. He’s been producing for 10 years and it shows! He does it all for his 6-month old daughter Maya which drives him to out particular care and love in his music. \
2. Mark Seit (my boy), goes by the stage name Marcutio and was the first person to ever give me a chance on the microphone. We started out as co-workers at Harper’s busing tables and would always talk about our music dreams. When given the opportunity to spin at Harper’s he graciously let me MC 5 of his events. I will never forget that. But aside from his kind heart the kid can spin! He’ll be performing at UltraFest down in Miami this year, follow him @MarcutioMusic
3. Graham Young (my cousin), his band the Wild Family is amazing! He’s been playing instruments his whole life and can sing like the Red Cedar flows. They make really soulful music, check em’ out @TheWildFamily
4. Austin Dunsten (choir buddy), his band Soul Divide. This kid is incredibly talented and has never been afraid to be himself. I draw a lot of inspiration from him as he is wise beyond his years. 
5. Ryan Dulong (my boy), goes by the stage name Yung Anakin. Recently survived a collision with a drunk driver and is working hard on rehabilitation and music. The kid can spin baby!
Celebrity Entourage?
Mom, Dad, Libby, Sam, Anne, Colin, Kristian, Raja, Chelsea, Nicole & Steve because they were there for me when I needed them most and had nowhere else to turn. I’ll never forget that.
Cool Job?
Being a Dock Porter on Mackinac Island. 
Top 10 Musicians
Stevie Wonder, Bob Marley, Marvin Gaye, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Black Eyed Peas, The Beatles, J Cole, Kanye West, Jay-Z, Jackson 5
The Dobman is a growing name in the Michigan music scene. Stay up-to-date on all things Dobman via Twitter and via TheIndieLeak



No comments: